Saturday, March 25, 2017

Barbara J. Raheb, Pennyweight Press, Miniature Books


Some of the first miniatures I ever bought were books by Barbara Raheb. They were made long before we had computers and printers. How they exactly they were made isn't something I can tell you about. Perhaps you know and will tell me more about that. I do remember someone telling me once they were typeset. I can't fathom it.


At the time I started collecting I had very little fun money so these were big purchases for me. The unabridged Romeo and Juliet was the first book I bought and EB Browning was the second. I was fascinated by the beautiful printing and  covers she created. I  have never opened Romeo and Juliet. Once they have been opened, they never close tightly again.

I knew Barbara had started losing her eye sight due to macular degeneration in 2002. I spoke to her a coupLe years before that on the phone. Someone recently told me we lost her. However, I cannot find anything about that on the internet. Please let me know if you have any information.

Her books are now selling for fantastic sums. I would still love to have a few more. I regret not getting all the Jane Austen books and so many others!



The good news is...  You can still buy them used either on Ebay or here...  Have a look at the prices they are asking for them now. PHEW!

 http://www.lorsonbooksandprints.com/raheb.html







19 comments:

  1. Our conversation here the other day was just how much the use of computers have changed our lives......I never made the connection with miniatures, but I don't know why I didn't...??? Yes, how did they make those books so small 'back in the day'? They look wonderful......I would adore to explore your miniature collection, I bet you have items packed away you have forgotten about. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am wondering how much 3-D printers will change miniatures in the years to come. I hate to think about it really. I wonder if artisans aren't starting to get a bit concerned.

      If something in my collection isn't being displayed, it is in see through flip-top, 6 in a line plastic (snap shut) boxes that are in a sort of book cover that has properly shaped sleeves for them to slide into. It is hard to explain (a picture would do it). Once I opened in that book I can see everything I have. Though the charm is pretty much lost in there. haha

      Delete
  2. Esos libros son un verdadero tesoro.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These books are so beautiful. Her work is amazing, and I have no idea how they were made. Mind boggling indeed---

    ReplyDelete
  4. What wonderful foresight you had. They are indeed treasures. She was extremely talented - also prolific if the list is anything to go by.
    Cheers, Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda. I don't know about foresight.;-) I just bought what I loved, always. There are so many different styles of collecting. craftsmanship was always what appealed to me. I guess that was why I didn't have much. haha

      Delete
  5. I'd never heard of Barbara before and another reason why I love your blog. It contains a wealth of knowledge about artisans I would never see otherwise. It's mind boggling how fine these books are given how they were made. Thanks for sharing :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pepper. ;-)
      I now believe the books were all typeset. Barbara also hand colored all the pictures in her books. She was known too for her calligraphy in them and gilding.

      Delete
  6. They are beautiful books, they go so well with your miniatures. I particularly like the browning one.
    Geneviève

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. Thank you Claude. I agree, her work was/is delicious. ;-)

      Delete
  8. Hi Catherine! Those books look amazing! It is hard to imagine them being typeset with such small type... It would be fascinating to know what was used to produce them! I would imagine you could get photographic reductions... (how they used to do layouts)with everything set up as for real printing... a complicated process! And you are right, those covers are beautiful with the gold stamping. I would not have been able to resist opening it.....!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Betsy,

    I really should do more research about how those books were made. I am very interested in the entire process. I have asked in the IGMA Forum for more information about Barbara. I am hoping to hear something.
    At the time I started collecting. I wanted an entire library of her books. It was just not to be with the sort of $ I had to spend. Then it sort of left my mind for several years when I wasn't collecting anything at all.

    I know, It was really tempting to open those books and look at all the pages. I just didn't want them to turn into something that looked like a fan. Which is exactly what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Catherine,
    The prices are insane. I am glad you have those books in your collection, what treasures! I will keep my fingers crossed and hope you get more of them.
    Big hug
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Giac. If I ever buy another one it will be a very lucky find in Ebay.

      Delete
  11. Amazing they can make the print so small!

    Thank you. Love love, Andrew. Bye.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amazing indeed.

    Thank you Andrew. ;-)

    ReplyDelete