Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Tom Bishop Show Chicago, IL 2017


I spent last weekend at the Tom Bishop Show in Chicago. It was great fun to see and meet so many Blogger friends and artisans.

Linda Master had a table at the show selling her beautiful work. She kindly allowed me to sell a few things I had made at her table. It is the first time I came home from a show with more money then I took with me. Thank you Linda!!!

One of the highlights of the weekend was meeting Catherine Buron http://miniaturemaisondesouris.blogspot.com/ and her wonderful husband. I do not speak French and Catherine speaks very little English, Her husband very kindly translated everything for us.  I also met a few other French ladies who are friends of Catherine's and very fine miniature artisans. Dominique Autin and Christine Voirin. Christine makes the most exquisite porcelain I have ever seen. Sadly, she had very little left after doing a different show and I missed getting to buy more from her. I meant to get everything she had left.

Meeting Lidi Stroud and her husband (Peter) was also a treat for me. I have always adored Lidi's baskets. It is funny how you make a connection with people long before you ever meet them in person. How that happens through a computer acquaintance is a mystery but I absolutely know it does. I have always felt Lidi was a friend. 
OK down to business...

WARNING...I didn't buy much at all! I was looking for a few things I didn't find, like a French country armoire and a chest of drawers. I did arrange a few commissions. One with Chris Malcomson that I am very excited about!

I couldn't resist this Westinghouse  circa 1906 fan. It has a cord with a plug on it but this one doesn't work. Though he did have some that do! Perhaps you can read Westinghouse in the center of the fan.


I was totally blown away by this "plique a jour" Butterfly hair comb. The colors of the 'glass' are very strong, there are three different colors in those wings. You can see right through it when you hold it up to the light. I also was amazed by this watch with a leather band. Both of them are so tiny and perfect. 


A fun whimsical teapot by Christine Voirin. The lid which is the table top and shelf does come off. I will add this at some point to the kitchen hutch with all the Stokesay Ware.





I bought some paper thin/soft leather & few small tools. And a light fixture by Scott Hughes That I will photograph another time.

Rushing to get ready for a house guest today.  

28 comments:

  1. thank you for sharing this show : your purchases: they are very pretty
    hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. QUALITY over Quantity Catherine! The items you've purchased are so Precious and Precise- they are Awe-inspiring! I LOVE you little teapot and I know that it will fit right in with your Stokesay Ware, but the fan is SUPERB, as are the hair comb and the watch!
    It is Incredible to me that people can turn out such fascinating and intricate work.
    The bar continues to be set Higher and Higher and the wonders of this hobby will never cease.
    Kudos to each of the Artisans; and now YOU get to play with them! :D

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see how a laser cutter made the fan, watch and hair comb all possible. They used that to enhance these pieces. I wonder what will come with the 3-D printers now. At some point will we have to ask what was handmade? It is sort of worrying when you think about it.
      Thank you Elizabeth. ;-)

      Delete
  3. Preciosas las compras que has realizado y ver un espectáculo con tanta obra de arte, es una delicia:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that fan! It reminds me of Art Deco with all the swirls.

    And that butterfly comb! Oh my, so detailed and delicate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheila. The fan is the only thing I have bought that "needs" electricity. Everything else I have would run on wood, oil or gas. Still I couldn't resist it.

      Delete
  5. How exciting Catherine!!!
    Firstly, I knew you would love Catherine B (& her husband).....so happy you all got to meet. I too have met Dominique when I was last is Paris, they are all such clever & LOVELY ladies.....(still a little envious that I wasn't there.)
    I adore the gorgeous items you bought, they are all so original.....so nice to see something different. I look forward to seeing you light fixture.....bet it's 'fabulous'!!! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda.
      All the ladies in France sure seem to make the most beautiful things. Their style and craftsmanship is unsurpassed!

      Delete
  6. Hi Catherine, what fun we all had! It was an honor to put your things on my table. Your pictures are fantastic as always, having seen them in person, I know how small these items really are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda! I had a great time and I am so glad you did too. I just wish you could have gotten the chance to get around and see the show.

      Delete
  7. Hello Catherine,
    I am very happy you enjoyed the show and got to meet so many lovely people. Your purchases are draw dropping. I thought the fan was wonderful when I scrolled down, but I must admit the butterfly comb just blew me away. Well done!
    Big hug
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Giac. I promised myself I would only buy what I loved at this show. I am saving for a few big pieces.

      Delete
  8. I'm glad you met some French miniaturists and that you had a great time at the show.
    Beautiful purchases!
    Geneviève

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Geneviève. Those French ladies made some of the most beautiful miniatures I have ever seen.

      Delete
  9. I know I say this everytime I read about a fair but I so wish I had been there. I'm glad you had a great time and bought some fabulous new additions :0)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Pepper,

    Your chairs should be in the post now. I spoke to her yesterday.

    I wish you could have been there too. I always LOVE seeing what you bought at a fair.

    Thank you Pepper. It was great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Catherine, I am so sorry we kept missing each other at the show. I wish we could have talked more about what you mentioned. I couldn't find any way to contact you but here. My email is my three names at gmail. Your purchases, as always, are exquisite. I love the fan and hair pic. I swear I am going to get to more tables and meet the people I have read about for years. They were right there and I missed so many of them! It's so difficult to feel free to take any time at a table when you have left yours in the hands of a husband who would rather be watching a Cub's game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carolyn, WOW it is so nice to see you here. I had no idea you knew this was my blog.
      I was great to see you, even if it was just a fly by! your miniature plants are the most beautiful ones I have ever seen!
      I understood your email address and will send you mine too. XXX

      Delete
    2. It's been a long time but I'm sure I commented here when our blogs were hot. I'm glad you still keep it up! And of course, who can not know you are Kilmouski and Me? I know that better than if I spell your last name with an "a" or an "i"!

      Delete
  12. that fan is a real work of art, I cant believe he makes them work that just blows me away thanks for sharing photos of the show :)

    Hugs
    Marisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marisa,

      Thank you!
      YES! He makes fans that work and they spin very, very fast too. They actually send out a bit of a breeze. The problem is the wires are pretty thick. I didn't care if mine worked anyway. I just liked the look.

      Delete
  13. What lovely Treasures you found! The fan is amazing! The tiny teapot is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you Betsy. It was a great show. I had lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete